a young pakistani doctor blogs...
Monday, July 10, 2006
  All I can do for Abeer Qasim Hamza

Since reading about the gang-rape and murder of a young Iraqi girl Abeer Qasim, her parents and 7 year old sister, by five American soldiers, an incident to which I wrote my initial reaction here, I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I have been profoundly moved by the incident.

I was finally moved to action today and proceeded to work on the wikipedia article about the incident. I had read dozens of news reports over the last few days and thought the wikipedia article could use a lot of work. I ended up rewriting 99% of the original article, and also added a picture of Abeer’s ID card which proved her age was 14, not 25 as some US military statements had been claiming. The wikipedia article is titled the Mahmudiyyah incident, and can be found here.

This is all I can do for you Abeer. The world will forget about you in a week’s time. I’ll stay back and make sure you get your due page in history, a well written and more importantly, an accurate account. You won’t be forgotten.

I’ll keep working on the page as events unfold.

 
Comments:
thats nice of you DP. The feeling of helplessness that comes with discovering an awful truth is one of the worst things about life..it's good you found a way to express yourself.
 
Great work DP!
 
That really was nice of you. You seem like such a good hearted person. I really admire your dedication to finding reason and truth in everything. :)
 
I think it's horrible that the miltary feels the need to inflate her actual age in order to make this seem less horrific.

How can they actually think that it's less horrific to rape, murder and burn the body of a 25 yr old woman than of a 14 yr old? AstaghfirAllah.
 
I think you're an amazing person.

It's just so true...just like Abu Ghraib this will be forgotten in 10 days or less!

I'm glad to hear that there is solid proof of her age and that it wont merely be swept under the rug.

May god bless her soul!!
 
Did you see this article? http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=2199920&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312
Now they are apparently thinking that it will be "too difficult" to prosecute the rapists based on the fact that Islamic law demands respect for the dead & doesn't allow for her body to be exhumed. UNBELIEVABLE!

Alhumdolillah that we know Allah is watching & that they will get their punishment in the next life if not in this one...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Recent med school graduate from Peshawar, Pakistan. Started blogging when in throes of final year exams. Currently studying for USMLE Step 1. Aiming for the 2008 Match. I blog about my studies, my worries, and my thoughts on life. I live in Islamabad.

BLOGS I READ
Aya's Randomness
I, Zak
Crow's Nest
Rai
Kevin MD
Sometime's Sobia

Watan Dost
Fingers and tubes
      ARCHIVES
      June 2005
      July 2005

      October 2005

      November 2005

      December 2005

      January 2006

      February 2006

      March 2006

      April 2006

      May 2006

      June 2006

      Email Me

       












Powered by Blogger