a young pakistani doctor blogs...
Tuesday, April 18, 2006
  Allergy
The other day I rearranged the furniture in my room. It took a long time because I also had to clean the mess I made while moving the stuff around. For a day afterwards, I had a stuffed nose, irritable eyes and a general ‘I don’t feel so good’ feeling. I realized that I might be having an allergic reaction to all the dust that was thrown up during the process of fixing up my room. I went to the drug store to get a non-sedating anti-histamine (loratadine) and I’ve since felt a lot better.

I realized retrospectively that I had been suffering from a mild allergy for a few weeks now. I sometimes needed an inhaler and a nasal decongestant spray to get to sleep comfortably because my airways felt ‘tighter’ around the time I got to bed. I didn’t think much of this at the time, thinking that I was just being fastidious, but with the loratadine the breathing problem vanished and I woke up today feeling fresher and more alert than I had felt in a while. The allergy had been draining me of strength and even though I resorted to an inhaler and a decongestant at night, it never occurred to me to think I might have an allergy.

It’s strange how doctors loose their objectivity when it comes to their own health.

On another note, while writing this entry my Orange Card for the Step 1 exam arrived along with an orientation CD. I’ll formally schedule the test date soon.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Recent med school graduate from Peshawar, Pakistan. Started blogging when in throes of final year exams. Currently studying for USMLE Step 1. Aiming for the 2008 Match. I blog about my studies, my worries, and my thoughts on life. I live in Islamabad.

BLOGS I READ
Aya's Randomness
I, Zak
Crow's Nest
Rai
Kevin MD
Sometime's Sobia

Watan Dost
Fingers and tubes
      ARCHIVES
      June 2005
      July 2005

      October 2005

      November 2005

      December 2005

      January 2006

      February 2006

      March 2006

      April 2006

      May 2006

      June 2006

      Email Me

       












Powered by Blogger