a young pakistani doctor blogs...
Monday, January 09, 2006
  Just another day.
A good day today. I did a lot of work, but I could have done more. I clocked in 8 hours, and could have easily gone to 11 if I hadn’t taken so many breaks. The Kaplan videos and Goljan audio lectures make the material a lot more pliable and progress is correspondingly faster. I get a lot more work done in a shorter time because of these materials. I really need to up the hours to a regular 10 hours/day minimum.

I’ll be taking my mother to the hospital tomorrow for a consult with a cardiologist. I finally got her blood pressure down to a constant 155/70, from 180/70. It’s a significant decrease with a zero side effect profile for the drugs she’s using and ample room to increase the dosage and also add another one to get the blood pressure down even more. Tomorrow’s meeting with the cardiologist should help in figuring a plan of action from here onwards. I’ll write a report in the morning before we go to summarize all the lab tests we’ve done and the progress of the anti-hypertensives I’ve been giving her.

So study is going well. The 8 eight hours today came with little difficulty, but again, there is room to do more. I have less than 5 months to go for the Step 1, and I don’t want to have any regrets later on. The last two days before this one were not very good (why do you think I’ve been posting stories and other useless stuff?!). I only studied 3-4 hours because I got fed up of the books. To remedy things, I went and got a movie (Gothika) to get out of the whole USMLE frame of mind. I don’t watch TV or read books, and even my ‘breaks’ consist of roaming USMLE forums, so I felt a movie would do me good. Sure enough, last night I watched the movie and today felt refreshed enough to get back to some kind of form. A bit of distraction can go a long way.

The afternoon naps and the 5-6 hour of nocturnal sleep is doing wonders for my concentration. I’m really glad I stumbled across this sleep cycle. My internal clock is so fine tuned now that I wake up myself these days just a few minutes before eight, just before the alarm wakes me up. The afternoon sleepiness comes with almost clinical precision at exactly 3pm and I quickly get to sleep. When I wake up after the afternoon nap, it’s like starting the day all over again. I think the milk and honey I have before I go to sleep at night makes a difference too. I put in a lot of honey, and I’m sure I’m feeling some of its beneficial effects. In any case, the value of a regimented discipline routine for studies is very obvious to me now. Good thing I figured it out this soon.

Not the most exciting of matters to be blogging about, but that’s about as exciting as it gets around here these days. At least I gave you a story with acid attacks, sex and suicides? That should make up for it somewhat.
 
Comments:
not bad...8 hrs...im at 5-6...
 
Buck up dude. I'm worried about my 8 hours.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Recent med school graduate from Peshawar, Pakistan. Started blogging when in throes of final year exams. Currently studying for USMLE Step 1. Aiming for the 2008 Match. I blog about my studies, my worries, and my thoughts on life. I live in Islamabad.

BLOGS I READ
Aya's Randomness
I, Zak
Crow's Nest
Rai
Kevin MD
Sometime's Sobia

Watan Dost
Fingers and tubes
      ARCHIVES
      June 2005
      July 2005

      October 2005

      November 2005

      December 2005

      January 2006

      February 2006

      March 2006

      April 2006

      May 2006

      June 2006

      Email Me

       












Powered by Blogger