a young pakistani doctor blogs...
Thursday, January 05, 2006
  I have SUCH an exciting life!
Today was an okay day. I actually managed to go through quite a bit of material, (although I fell short of my daily target) without really stressing myself out. I had to take tons of mini-breaks today and ended up clocking just about seven and a half hours of study. Not really impressive.

However today was eventual in that I accidentally stumbled across a new sleep system that works for me. I couldn’t sleep until 2 am last night, but still woke up at my usual 8am. I had only 6 hours of sleep and while that seemed toxically low to me, I got up anyway and started my day. I didn’t have much appetite so I forsaked breakfast and got straight to work. Soon I realized that the empty stomach and shorter sleep actually made me more alert. I didn’t feel sleepy the whole morning and concentrated quite well on the material. I went to sleep at 3pm, a time I always knew my circadian rhythm kicked in with very heavy drowsiness. I snoozed for about an hour and a half and woke up feeling very refreshed and alert. I only had 2 and a half cups of coffee today, down from my usual 4. I didn’t reach my full potential of studying not because I felt sleepy but because I’m a lazy good-for-nothing bastard, but that’s a different story. I think this new sleep system will work well for me; I’m trying it again tomorrow.

BTW, how come nobody commented on my 419eaters post? Didn’t y’all think it was hilarious? Or is it just me… do I need to get a life or what?
 
Comments:
Hope the new sleep system works out for you.I'd suggest cutting down on the coffee even more.
Enjoyed the 419 dot com.Yep!the audio clip takes the prize...hilarious!
 
i thot 419 was fake,i dont know might b true.anyways for the sleep thing u shud try this
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/10/polyphasic-sleep/
didnt work for me but might be ur kind of thing.no harm trying
 
For me, a nap during the day spoils what's left of it. When I wake up, I'm usually depressed until the next day. Not a great way to study.

Being sleepy a lot is a fact I have to live with if I want to remain productive.
 
beleive me or not as much as this polyphasic sleep thing might sound weired i actually know a guy who used to do this and he was always in pain. man its not easy stuff and destroys the normal sleep cycle.
 
Yep, I agree. Your body needs time to recharge and I learnt long ago myself the hard way that you can't fool it from wanting sleep. Sooner or later, it'll catch up on you. I've accepted that that I need to give up 8 hours of my life to sleep everyday. I'm fine with that really. You can't skimp back on sleep when your studying. Besides, I'm pretty sure I won't be enojoying such luxuriously long hours of sleep when I start my residency, inshallah. Might as well pig out now while I can.
 
What people ? Finding sleep patterns ? You won't be vying (however you spell the dumb word) for the Nobel Prize I am sure . Now myself on the other hand make a good candidate specially with my programme for changind poop diapers without having to take off your son's pants off all the way ... I hate it when I have to do that and also the socks 'cause you can';t put them back on until his feet and his bum get totally dry .
P.S. Did you pass the MBBS thingie ?
P.P.S. If I pray hard enough for you to get residency probably in Cuba (errrr or are you actually fooling yourself into believeing you can get it anywhere else !!!) will you get me an iPod Nano ?
 
Yes Stranger, I managed to squeak past that minor matter of the 'MBBS thingi'.
 
CONGRATULATIONS ... :D
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Recent med school graduate from Peshawar, Pakistan. Started blogging when in throes of final year exams. Currently studying for USMLE Step 1. Aiming for the 2008 Match. I blog about my studies, my worries, and my thoughts on life. I live in Islamabad.

BLOGS I READ
Aya's Randomness
I, Zak
Crow's Nest
Rai
Kevin MD
Sometime's Sobia

Watan Dost
Fingers and tubes
      ARCHIVES
      June 2005
      July 2005

      October 2005

      November 2005

      December 2005

      January 2006

      February 2006

      March 2006

      April 2006

      May 2006

      June 2006

      Email Me

       












Powered by Blogger