a young pakistani doctor blogs...
Saturday, December 03, 2005
  Moola
I need to clarify something from my last post. I certainly didn’t mean to say that ‘success=money’ is a great working formula for life. It isn’t. And yes, I shouldn’t have said “all people use money as an indicator of success”. I should have said most.

Actually, the entire post sprung from watching Oprah the other day (when I should have been studying! I didn’t want to say that I had been watching Oprah because then Moiz would say something and make me feel guilty, hehehe.) Oprah had Charlize Theron on the show and they were talking about luck and success. Charlize was telling Oprah that she believed luck brought her this far in life, what with all the success she’s had in life. Oprah countered that by saying that she didn’t believe in luck, that there was no such thing and that it was actually “preparation meeting opportunity” that produced results. Now Charlize couldn’t argue with Oprah cuz she had a movie to promote here, and she knows as well as anyone in show bizness that you don’t get on Oprah’s bad side, or that sista might not invite yo’ ass to the show next time. So Charlize nodded sagely in agreement, accepting these words of wisdom from big mama herself. “Yes, Yes Oprah, you’re right.” Oprah then nodded knowingly and changed the subject.

I was struck by how an intelligent Oscar winning actress like Charlize Theron allowed her beliefs to be changed so easily. Was it because she was only a millionaire and knew less about ‘success’ than the big O? What if me and Charlize Theron were having a coffee together in a diner and I told her the exact same thing Oprah told her. Would she agree then? I doubt it. But what if I had a billion dollars? Then my words would have far more wieght, because supposedly, I would ‘know’ what I was talking about. I have more money than you bitch, you’d better agree with me!

That’s what got me to thinking that all people… er, correction most people equate success with money. The more you have, the more successful you are, and the more preaching rights you have. I’m not saying I agree with this or that this is my my belief.

On a more personal level/I think having enough money to live a comfortable life is essential. I wouldn’t sacrifice my family or peace of mind for anything beyond that.

Incidently, I don’t believe the word is luck, I think it’s ‘blessing’. It’s easy to delude yourself into thinking you’re self-sufficient and self-made when in fact God played an enormous part in realising your successes
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Recent med school graduate from Peshawar, Pakistan. Started blogging when in throes of final year exams. Currently studying for USMLE Step 1. Aiming for the 2008 Match. I blog about my studies, my worries, and my thoughts on life. I live in Islamabad.

BLOGS I READ
Aya's Randomness
I, Zak
Crow's Nest
Rai
Kevin MD
Sometime's Sobia

Watan Dost
Fingers and tubes
      ARCHIVES
      June 2005
      July 2005

      October 2005

      November 2005

      December 2005

      January 2006

      February 2006

      March 2006

      April 2006

      May 2006

      June 2006

      Email Me

       












Powered by Blogger