a young pakistani doctor blogs...
Saturday, December 31, 2005
  Bhabi
It was an okay day. I’ll have clocked in only about six hours of studying before I go to sleep. There were power outages taking place all evening which made studying difficult because I find it a tad tricky to read when its pitch dark. I also didn’t sleep very well last night. I’m forcing myself to be far more regular in my habits so that my circadian rhythm becomes more cooperative. In the afternoon, when I was feeling really sleepy I thought that maybe I should change my time table so that I can sleep a little in the afternoons. Maybe I’d sleep only 5 hours at night so that I’d be tired enough to overcome my insomnia and get to sleep in the afternoons. But then I thought that I should give my body time to settle into a certain schedule rather than changing things around at the slightest hint of a problem. I think a couple more days of iron clad regularity in my getting-my-ass-in-bed times and getting-my-ass-out-of-bed times will do the trick. My mind will shut down to rest at the right times if I train it to follow a fixed, regular pattern. This should cure the insomnia.

The winter rains have finally started and today it brought on power outages. I think its just the electricity mains getting used to water. By the looks of things, the rain will be with us for days and days, which suits me fine because I like it when its cold and wet outside but comfy and toasty inside. I had to venture out today though to get bread. The maid has quit and my mother was too tired to cook bread herself, so I had to go out and get some. The roads where glistening wet and the damned windows in the car were fogged up inside. I could barely see anything. I drove slowly, hunched over the steering wheel, peering out of the windscreen like a 70-year-old woman. I’m not the most suave driver in the world and the conditions in the crowded markez I drove to didn’t do much to promote a James Bond image of myself.

My elder brother and his wife (my bhabi) came back from a little trip with their kids. My result had come out while they were away, so they greeted me happily as a doctor. My brother remarked that it only seemed like yesterday that we were filing my forms for admission into med school. How time flies.

I’m growing closer to my bhabi. I’m growing to respect her more and more as I get to know her better. Despite what my mother says about her, I think she’s a great mother to her kids and wife to her husband. She was really happy to hear about my result and came up to my room to talk to me. I feel bad for not trying to get to know her better before, but then again, I’ve been living away from home for the last six years and didn’t get to see her that much. That’s not much of an excuse I suppose. I guess a part of the reason I didn’t try so hard was because I believed what my mother told me about her, most of which wasn’t very flattering. I was always friendly towards my bhabi but never really genuinely interested in getting to know her better. Now that I’m back home to stay, I’ve learned how unfair my mother has been to her. Relations between the two are not good, and I think I’m in a position to ease things between them. I’ll have to make it a point to get to know my bhabi better and use that understanding to help her bridge the gap that currently lies between her and my mother. The house will be much more peaceful for the two of them because of it.
 
Comments:
Good Boy!!
 
lol ur future wife is gona b one happy girl wen she reads this
 
Noble cause DrPak!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Recent med school graduate from Peshawar, Pakistan. Started blogging when in throes of final year exams. Currently studying for USMLE Step 1. Aiming for the 2008 Match. I blog about my studies, my worries, and my thoughts on life. I live in Islamabad.

BLOGS I READ
Aya's Randomness
I, Zak
Crow's Nest
Rai
Kevin MD
Sometime's Sobia

Watan Dost
Fingers and tubes
      ARCHIVES
      June 2005
      July 2005

      October 2005

      November 2005

      December 2005

      January 2006

      February 2006

      March 2006

      April 2006

      May 2006

      June 2006

      Email Me

       












Powered by Blogger