a young pakistani doctor blogs...
Friday, November 11, 2005
  Tough as nails.
Near the middle of my final year exam – and this exam lasted about 40 days – I once reached a point of utter exhaustion. It was before the 4th paper, one of the surgery papers I believe. I remember sitting in my spartan, depressing room with its poor light, chipped walls and humid heat and thinking how I finally reached the last limit of my endurance. It was 8pm, the night before the paper. I had been studying for 16 hours straight, and had only 3 hours of sleep the night before. I still had a lot of work left and I needed to stay awake till 3am at least. There were some really important topics left for me to do.

I took a big sigh and looked up very depressed at the discolored wall in front of me. Then I decided that I wasn’t going to give up. I had work left to do, and no matter how damn tired I was, I was going to keep sitting to meet my targets. For the next 7 hours, I worked through my sheer mental exhaustion. I just stopped thinking about how fed-up I was and I just did it. It was a remarkable mental triumph. The temptation to give up and go to sleep never left me throughout the 7 hours. I just didn’t give into it. I was scared of what the next day might bring but I didn’t give in to that either. I just gritted my teeth and kept going.

This exact thing was to happen four times again during the next month of my exam. Each time I persevered. Each time I pushed the boundaries further and every time I did so, I came out more confident of my abilities. I was very proud of myself later on and even marveled at what I had managed to do. I almost wanted to be in the same position again so I could see if I could come out on top again. I was operating in an altogether different realm of endurance.

It was experiences like these that made me so confident of doing well in the steps. I have the strength and guts inside me to really do well. I’ve done incredible things before and can do them again, and I will.

Today was a good day of studying. It still evening as yet, I’ll be awake for another 5 hours, but I’ll definitely meet my target for today. I just dove into today - all guns blazing, determined not to fail my targets. From now on, I just have to be tough on myself like I was today….like I was during most days of my final year exam.

 
Comments:
Thats the life we have chosen. Studies finally seem fun, not an activity imposed on us...Same feeling though a bit earlier, I guess a stage everyone passes through.
 
Well, I don't think studies ever seem fun 'finally'. I think what drives us after we pass thro this kind of a situation is the feeling of accomplishment and confidence attained as we plough thro the material. A friend of mine once told me the biggest motivating factor is a previous accomplishment. You want to stay there, at the top.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Recent med school graduate from Peshawar, Pakistan. Started blogging when in throes of final year exams. Currently studying for USMLE Step 1. Aiming for the 2008 Match. I blog about my studies, my worries, and my thoughts on life. I live in Islamabad.

BLOGS I READ
Aya's Randomness
I, Zak
Crow's Nest
Rai
Kevin MD
Sometime's Sobia

Watan Dost
Fingers and tubes
      ARCHIVES
      June 2005
      July 2005

      October 2005

      November 2005

      December 2005

      January 2006

      February 2006

      March 2006

      April 2006

      May 2006

      June 2006

      Email Me

       












Powered by Blogger