a young pakistani doctor blogs...
Thursday, November 10, 2005
  'The solution is choice'
Well, today pretty much sucked. My study was really bad. I just couldn’t bring myself to get going. I got something of a panic attack around 4pm and then decided to watch the Matrix Reloaded and the Matrix Revolutions again. I had been wikisurfing some time back and happened upon articles on these two movies. When I first saw the movies, soon after their release, I thought the sequels destroyed the original story. I just rolled up my eyes at the sophistic bantering about choice, destiny, causality, the convoluted bantering of The Architect, not to mention the corny love dialogue between Neo and Trinity; “I can’t let you go. I love you too damn much.” (I might have felt like that in the beginning of my relationship with my fiancé, but I sure didn’t sound like that. I’d like to think I was more suave.)

The wikipedia articles shed some interesting light on the sequels, principally in the what-the-hell-is-going-on-here department. All I could get from the first viewing when the movies came out was there was a lot of fighting going on. Cool fighting to be sure, but I didn’t really know what all that fighting was about. Couldn’t they all just settle things over a nice cuppa?

I had to go through the wikipedia article very carefully to get the plots of the last two movies. I stopped short of making notes, but other than that, I paid close attention. It finally did make sense, although I suspect the Wachowski brothers really sweated to flesh out the story of the sequels. The story seemed so labored, I can’t help but suspect they found themselves in quite the creative pickle.

In 2002, when the finished movies were still in the future, I managed to get my hands on a script for the Matrix Reloaded movie. I found it in some dark recess of the internet and read the whole thing in one sitting. It was totally different than the final version of the movie. I remember little about it, but I do remember the freeway scene had already been written in because I distinctly remember reading Morpheus’ words “Then let us pray that I was wrong.” Just before they enter the freeway. That goes to show the Wachowski’s never planed sequels and had to go through at least one other version (that I’m personally aware of … who know how many more there were) before they reached the final draft. That also explained why the final plot was so complicated and why I needed to read the wikipedia articles three times to get everything.

Ah, but never mind that. My study really sucks, and I watched the movies just to get my mind off things. I hope tomorrow is a better day. I should think positively and not assume that today’s events will repeat themselves tomorrow… or any other day for that matter. I’ll get up tomorrow and get the job done. I won’t learn helplessness (Those who’ve read Behavioral Science will know what I’m talking about).

Neo said ‘the problem is choice.’ But that’s the solution as well.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Recent med school graduate from Peshawar, Pakistan. Started blogging when in throes of final year exams. Currently studying for USMLE Step 1. Aiming for the 2008 Match. I blog about my studies, my worries, and my thoughts on life. I live in Islamabad.

BLOGS I READ
Aya's Randomness
I, Zak
Crow's Nest
Rai
Kevin MD
Sometime's Sobia

Watan Dost
Fingers and tubes
      ARCHIVES
      June 2005
      July 2005

      October 2005

      November 2005

      December 2005

      January 2006

      February 2006

      March 2006

      April 2006

      May 2006

      June 2006

      Email Me

       












Powered by Blogger