a young pakistani doctor blogs...
Monday, November 07, 2005
  Raat ki rani
Work today went much better, I’m happy to report. Studying sucks, but now that I’m home, I can look forward to relaxing at the end of the day. There was nothing much to do in my hostel room in Peshawar. It was just about the most depressing place on earth. Thank God I’m done with it.

I went out for a walk just a while ago. It’s quite chilly here in the evenings and I put a big coat on, slipped my mobile-cum-radio in a pocket and plugged in to FM 89, a pretty good radio station that plays good music. I heard a 50 Cents rendition of The Beegees’ Staying Alive. Also listened to an oldie, George Michael’s Fast Love - an amazing song, sung with great grace and finesse about wanting to hump a prostitute, hehe. No one can sing songs about being horny like George can.

It’s great in Islamabad. I walked in the little streets in between the houses and there was the aroma of raat ki rani everywhere. I think I can force myself to study throughout the day now safe in the knowledge that in the evenings I can go for a pleasant walk, read my book Hannibal, or just go to sleep early. It doesn’t take much to make me feel good these days. I think, to a large extent, the depression and sense of anhedonia that plagued me for many of my days in Peshawar have gone away. All that suffering tuned me into myself and I can better read my emotions now. If I feel sad, I can usually look into myself and find the root cause. This must be the fun part about growing up. I may be losing my hair as well, but hey, it’s a trade-off.

Before I forget to mention it here….during my break in Ramadan, I passed many happy hours playing these computer games from my childhood. Monkey Island 1 and 2, KGB, Maniac Mansion, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Beneath a Steel Sky, and a bunch of others. Why don’t they make games like that anymore!!! I found a great site where you can download all these games for free. All the Sierra games are up there too for those who are interested. www.agamesroom.com. I suspect the site is not totally kosher as some of these games are still copyright. Anyone interested best download the games soon.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Recent med school graduate from Peshawar, Pakistan. Started blogging when in throes of final year exams. Currently studying for USMLE Step 1. Aiming for the 2008 Match. I blog about my studies, my worries, and my thoughts on life. I live in Islamabad.

BLOGS I READ
Aya's Randomness
I, Zak
Crow's Nest
Rai
Kevin MD
Sometime's Sobia

Watan Dost
Fingers and tubes
      ARCHIVES
      June 2005
      July 2005

      October 2005

      November 2005

      December 2005

      January 2006

      February 2006

      March 2006

      April 2006

      May 2006

      June 2006

      Email Me

       












Powered by Blogger